The consoles will run SteamOS, which sits on top of Linux. It will also come with a bespoke Steam controller, optimised for the types of games hosted on Steam.
Here is the current list of manufacturors who will be building the first generation of Steam Machines:
- Digital Storm
- Falcon NW
- Next Spa
- Origin PC
CS:GO Gameplay Changes
- Changed C4 planting sounds - when planting the bomb, it plays an initialization sound that everyone can hear, but ONLY the player planting will hear the code typing sounds. This makes fake planting possible (similar to fake diffusing as a CT).
- All items now follow the same pick up sound rules (grenades, C4, weapons, defuse kits, etc):
- If a player picks up an item while running, it plays a pickup sound that everyone can hear.
- If a player picks up an item while moving silently, it plays a subtle pickup sound to ONLY the player picking it up.
You can read the full change list on Steam News
Call of Duty: Ghosts
I could go on to list them all here, but I think it would be best to simply point at a comprehensive review: IGN CoD: Ghosts Review
From a DFC perspective, the multiplayer and matchmaking experience should be smoother, and the co-op mode sounds to have much improved AI for your team mates and enemy bots. One to look forward to I think :)
Steam Family Sharing
It would be great for single player campaign games though, as once you have completed the game, you could let a family member have a go for no extra charge (including any DLC you may have purchased).
For more details, including how DLC, region restrictions and cheating are handled, see the Steam Family Sharing page on the Steam site.
CS:GO Chicken Changes
Chicken changes based on pro feedback:
- Reduced chicken sounds dBs and volume.
- Reduced idle clucking rate.
- Reduced range that scares chickens when running.
XBox One Launch Date
The releases will bring the total of new consoles this year to three (the Android-based Ouya being the other one) and following the Wii U last year.
Steam News, but here are a few highlights:
- Added Silenced M4A1.
- Added Silenced USP.
- When a player reloads their weapon, they now drop a magazine that persists in the world.
- Machine gun belts now visually match the ammo count in the viewmodel when firing and reloading.
- Added holdable action key +lookatweapon that allows players to visually inspect their first person weapon while in-game. This has been bound to the F key by default (if that key was previously unbound). [Guessing this is in response to being able to buy customised weapons via the new Arms Deal section of Steam Workshop]
- Players now automatically crouch while planting bombs.
MiniBob on Friday - please update your local Steam installations before you set off!
MiniBob July 2013
Note that it's vital that everyone updates their local Steam/Origin game files before they come, due to recent changes in the Virgin Media traffic shaping policy. It would only take a couple of people updating TF2 and CS:GO to push us over the new threshold.
BobBoard 2013 Roundup
The games we played were: Ticket to Ride at the next BobLAN :)
As always, big thanks to Bob, and also to Dan for bringing along a selection of games to try!