Apex Legends Launches
It is a testament to the stature of Respawn and their marketing that they have already achieved 25 million players within a couple of weeks - quite an amazing start.
Read the required tech specs plus some news and guides, both courtesy of Shacknews. One to watch for BobLAN!
Rage 2 Preview
You can read a great article about it all on Shacknews
Resident Evil 2
Read a full review on Shacknews.
DFC Twitch Feed
This feature doesn't work in the embedded player on our site, so you will need to go directly to twitch.tv/desertfoxclan
Nvidia Opens Up G-sync
Read more in these articles:
Asus Merlin 2018 Review
CS:GO Battle Royale
Whilst it shares the same principles of last-man-standing with the existing games, it does differ in other ways. There are only 16 players per game (18 in team mode) and each player picks a pre-defined starting point. You can find weapons, ammo etc, but you can also find/steal money with which to buy equipment. Your goods are delivered by drone which can be seen (and shot down) by other players, which will be interesting.
More details can be found on Arstechnica
BobLAN 2018.2 Roundup
Tech-wise, Scott set up a local Steam cache. I don't know how many downloads it served over the weekend - performance stats to follow. Also, thanks to Max for donating his spare 980Ti to the BobLAN spare kit appeal - greatly appreciated as it meant Keith could actually play on my old PC at a decent frame rate!
Game-wise, we dropped a few old favourites and tried some new ones:
- Battlefield 1 - this made its proper debut, largely thanks to Dan sorting out a private server. We had some really close games, and as everyone commented, the visuals were stunning. A real hit that will no doubt reappear, although they need to be a bit more realistic on the amount of damage a horse can take!
- CS:GO - the go-to game during breaks from other games. With the local server being always-on, it's an easy choice but still a great game.
- GRID Autosport - lots of time on this one as usual, and it still plays very well.
- DiRT 3 - this game has potential, but was let down by intermittent network issues. Still, the Cat and Mouse mode was really good fun when it worked.
- Rocket League - we played a small tournament which was entertaining. That was about it though, no additional games played.
- Titanfall 2 - this returned after an absence last time. Again, some close games which everyone enjoyed. Hopefully it will return again next time.
- Unreal Tournament - not as much time on this as in the Spring BobLAN, but fun nonetheless.
- Rockband - the usual late night racket to entertain the neighbours!
- Dungeons and Dragons - a newcomer to BobLAN, and was enjoyed by all who played.
- Darwin Project - despite this being one of the hit games last time, it just didn't feature this time.
- Day of Defeat - shame, as the objective mode maps are still great when you have decent numbers.
- Jousting Genitals - just, because
- PUBG - we had one very short-lived game, so hardly worth mentioning.
- DOOM - I think UT has taken its spot as deathmatch game of choice.
BobLAN 2018.2 in 3 Days
- Steam - lots of games. Look out for queued updates, and force them through
- Origin - Titanfall and Battlefield games
- Epic - Unreal Tournament
- Bethesda - Quake Champions
- Blizzard/Battle.net - Destiny 2 (it's free)
Destiny 2 for Free
The only requirements are that you have a Battle.net account, and that you opt in for their SMS two-factor auth mechanism.
If you fancy a copy for BobLAN, head over to Blizzard to claim the "free gift". The game takes up 80GB, and allow yourself half an hour for account creation and Battle.net application installation.